The Carrot River Valley Watershed Association (CRVWA) is pleased to partner with the Saskatchewan Association of Watersheds (SAW) to host our 6th Annual Poster Contest! This year, the poster contest theme is Water Conservation. The poster contest is open to all students in Grades 5 through 7 that live and/or attend school within the Carrot River Watershed area. The CRVWA will be providing prizes for the top three local winners, and the first place poster will then move on to the provincial contest to complete against the top posters from the other 10 watersheds for the chance to win the provincial Grand Prize – which consists of a $500 prize package for the student and $500 for their classroom! Entry deadline is 4pm on Friday, March 17, 2017. Full contest details and entry forms are available by contacting our office.
Prizes will be awarded as follows, with no substitutions:
Grand Prize (Provincially) – $500 prize package for the student and $500 for the student’s classroom.
Locally: First Prize—CRVWA backpack and merchandise, and 10 Punch Youth Swim Pass for the Northern Lights Palace Pool in Melfort (approximate value of $100).
Second Prize—CRVWA backpack and merchandise, and 1-Bowling Pass at Melfort Bowl (approximate value of $75).
Third Prize—CRVWA backpack and merchandise (approximate value of $50).
- Contest is open to youth in grades 5, 6 and 7 that live and/or attend school within the Carrot River Watershed. A list of eligible schools is available from the CRVWA office. All entries should reflect a Water Conservation theme.
- Formatting guidelines:
- Artwork must be 100% hand-drawn, original artwork on a 8½’’ X 11’’ white piece of paper.
- Any medium may be used (pencil crayon, paint, wax crayon, marker, etc.).
- Posters will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Accuracy and knowledge of information presented within the poster (i.e. illustrations demonstrate the student’s understanding of the topic).
- The artwork demonstrates an appreciation of water conservation.
- General artistic ability and creativity.
- All posters are to be mailed or hand delivered to : Carrot River Valley Watershed Association, 202 Main Street or PO Box 40, Melfort, SK S0E 1A0
- All entries must be received before 4pm on Friday, March 17, 2017, the closing date of the contest.
- All entries become property of the Carrot River Valley Watershed Association, and may be used in print or promotional materials, social media, newsletters, website, etc. now or in the future.
- The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of the local contest agree to have their name and poster published in CRVWA newsletters, crwatershed.ca, Facebook and Twitter.
- Parent permission is required on all entries, and this Poster Contest Details sheet must be completed and attached to each entry. Only one entry per child.
- Judges at the local level will be CRVWA staff and board members. The decision of the judges is final. All winners will be notified by telephone.
- Provincial judging will occur in Esterhazy on April 6, 2017 in conjunction with the Saskatchewan Association of Watersheds Annual Conference.
- Immediate family and household members of CRVWA Board Members and CRVWA Staff are ineligible.
Season’s Greetings from the Board and Staff of the Carrot River Valley Watershed Association! Our office will be closed December 23-January 3 as we take some time to enjoy the holiday season with our family and friends. Thank you for your continued support of the CRVWA and all the best in 2017.
Are you interested in finding out about the Farm Stewardship Program (FSP) and the Farm and Ranch Water Infrastructure Program (FRWIP)? Don’t want to miss out on funding opportunities for your farming operation? The Carrot River Valley Watershed Technician is coming out to farms over the next couple of months to give producers the run down on these two programs at no cost or obligation to you. All you need to do is book a time with our Technician, invite over a few of your neighbours, supply the coffee, and then sit back, listen and learn about these programs and cost-shared funding available to producers in our area!
Each kitchen table visit can be tailored to suite your specific needs. Various topics can be discussed such as water source development & management, waterway erosion control, forage conversion for erosion control or salinity control, variable rate fertilizer application, creek crossings, grain bag recycling, and more. Land can be pre-assessed for eligibility for forage conversion and we supply aerial imagery of land you are considering completing a project on at each visit.
Invite your neighbours out, swap project ideas, ask questions, and make a fun afternoon or evening of it! Our Technician can fill your applications out with you and help identify cost-shared funding programs that may be a fit for your project ideas. Take this opportunity to connect with your local Agri-Environmental Group Plan Technician and be kept in the loop on future opportunities.
FRWIP applications must be received by August 1, 2017. All claim forms for approved projects must be submitted by February 15, 2018.
FSP pre-approval applications must be received by June 30, 2017. All claim forms for approved projects and all rebate applications must be received by January 31, 2018.
Simply contact Charlotte Gayler, AAg at the Carrot River Valley Watershed Association at 306-920-8166 or 306-752-1270 or email email@example.com to book your kitchen table workshop today!